Trying Something New
I'm still playing with brick stitch, but tried something new this weekend.
I made a teardrop shaped wire frame following the same technique I used on the silver and gemstone mosaic earrings from a couple of weeks ago.
Then, I added brick stitch rows inside the frame.
I've done plenty of brick stitching around the outside of objects.
I've done brick stitch around bead centers.
And brick stitch through spacer beads, where the spacers are turned sideways.
And what I found out - is that it is much more tedious and time consuming to brick stitch around the inside of an object.
Maybe making the second earring will be quicker, but it took a lot more thought to make sure the beads were spaced evenly and to pull the string through the hoop every stitch and avoid tangles.
The frame I made is 1.5 inches long from the top of the hanging loop to the base. They are about 3/4 inch wide. I used 8/0 beads for the first round, 11/0 round for the second, and 11/0 cylinder beads for the inside.
I think they came out OK. I wish my color selection was a little better - but I think these should look good on. They remind me a little of the eye of a peacock feather, which makes me want to try to make a pair that looks like a peacock feather.
I'll take step by step pictures when I make the next earring - or maybe make the peacock feather.
P.S. One thing I really like about this post is that I feel like my brick stitch technique - spacing and tension - has improved considerably. Look at the difference between the wonky pink rounds and the blue ones above them! Patting myself on the back for that today...