This one makes me a little sad. I was very pleased with my results from the Free Tutorial for Wire Wrap Framed Gemstones that I must have forgotten my skills.
You see, I'm not very fond of coiling wire and I don't think I'm very good at weaving it either. I'm not sure whether I'm not patient enough, precise enough, or I just don't find the zen in the technique. It's just me, so I rarely do projects that involve coiling or weaving.
But, I really liked these earrings from my Free Jewelry Tutorials Pinterest board. It seemed like the next logical progression from my simple wire frame pendants. Wow - was I wrong.
First - the tutorial is a pictorial only. Which makes it look easy, but you have to figure out the materials for yourself. For those of you who feel you are up to making these earrings, here's what I found worked.
2 large holed 8 mm beads (mine are ceramic) - they could be larger I think
2 pieces of 20g wire, 6 to 8 inches long for the frame
26g wire for the coils (At least 30 inches - but I wouldn't know since I ran out!!)
All is well so far. The frame was fairly simple. There were a few tricks to make it even on both sides though. I wanted the frames to be about 1 1/2" long, so before I wrapped the frame wires up around the bead, I used Sharpie to make a mark at the 2 inch spot. This let me know where to make the wrap and loop for the top without guessing.
I made another frame and decided instead of coiling on the frame, I would make two 1 inch coils and slide them onto the frame. Time savings - phenomenal! I think I'm a genius about now.
What I should have done is separate the coils a little to make room for the wire or cord, but I was already out of patience and didn't want to ruin the frame. So, that's as far as I got with these earrings.
Of course, like everything else I do, I look at them today and think - eh, not so bad. I'll probably try the weaving method I started in the first picture again - but with much more wire. I'll also mark the spots where I want the wraps to go to the center so I can make them even without counting coils.
The second frame took so much less time than the first, I consider it a far better technique once I can resolve how to make the wires or cord stay on the coil. I've thought about using pieces of coil instead of one long one, which would give me a natural break to wrap between. It would also resolve how to space the wraps to the center.
In any event, if you have advice - please let me know. I'll probably let these sit until next week while I consider my options.